Sunday, May 8, 2011

Organization and Interaction!!!

    The key to any successful club of any sort is #1 organization and #2 Interaction. We are all new to the book club world and we will learn and grow together. What I do know is that anything, if not tended properly whithers and dies. We are starting with a summer long commitment to one book a month, and discussion about it. That gives us 4 books through August. I truly don't want this to be Makayla's book club, I want this to be OUR book club so I'm hoping for a lot of interaction.
    The next challenge we have facing us is, how do we decide on discussion topics, and also the speed at which we read? I have a solution that I believe may be workable. I propose that we divide the books into chapters  for example - assign Tam chapters 1-2 Angela 3-4 and Kat 5-6 etc... we would each be responsible for finding an element within our chapters and leading the discussion on it. I can divide the number of chapters between the time we have to read it - and individually post the assignments along with a date to (hopefully) have them done by the leader could then comment on that section and we're off and running. I would leave a few days at the end of the month to discuss the book as a whole.

   Since we're running on a shortened timeline, I'd like to get the first discussion going as quickly as possible. Next month will operate completely differently, as we have time to pick a book and have it ready to go!

Feedback!! Comment if this will work for you, or if you have another idea!

6 comments:

  1. I'm open to try this. I've usually discussed books after we've read it. But this could be neat while it's fresh in our minds. I'm a pretty fast reader esp if I am really into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Angela. I'm willing to try it, though I do tend to read ahead. I guess I'll just have to read other books at the same time to slow me down a bit. Darn. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. I'm having the same problem. I'm already on chapter 8 - and as it seems to be an "easy read" (but very enjoyable) I think maybe we should just read it and then discuss. However, we would like to have a lively discussion - so how do we get everyone involved?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you're ready, I'd suggest start a new post, titled Firefly Lane, where we can comment with our observances. We can then comment on something we found interesting, or pose a question or say whatever and then others can reply from there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another way is to do a chat room. Either on FB or somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOH a chatroom could be fun! We'd have to find a time that works for everyone.

    ReplyDelete